The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

44° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Gym Class Heroics

There have always been those who show effort, respect, and athleticism in gym class Now, those who do are being recognized for their endeavors, by being posted on one of the boards near the main gym. These athletes are, according to those that select them, exemplify good sportsmanship, effort and character. 

The physical education teachers say that academics, along with any outside athletic achievements, are not considered. They are purely looking for those who go above and beyond in participation and respect in the gym. There are truly no favorites to earn this award, as anyone who is willing to give an effort in gym class is deserving. 

“We really just look for a kid who’s always changing [into their gym shirt], and who’s putting in effort and competing,” says Mr. Hughes, one of the teachers that picked out the winner of this award. Mr. Hughes also emphasizes that there are so many people that don’t change or participate at all so those who win the award are truly deserving. 

Mrs. Tighe, another physical education teacher, describes what they are looking for in a “gym class hero.” She says, “It’s someone that helps with the games, and with the equipment, and is respectful”. 

In terms of the selection of “gym class heroes,” Mr. Hughes states, “We all [the gym teachers] get like one vote and we pick two kids.” This new award looks to award those who want to compete and participate in gym, a trend all teachers hope catches on.