The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

84° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Student Spotlights: Andrew Nick

• What sparked your interest in politics and government?
      1. Andrew: I have always been interested in people and history. During the 2020 election cycle, I realized how wide the gap is between so many people, and became intrigued on how to close that divide. 
  • How did you land the internship? What was the process to be selected?
      1. Andrew: Around 3 years ago at a wedding, I was introduced to someone who was a political consultant and had connections. After I gave my 30-second elevator pitch on why I wanted to go into politics, they cut me off and said “I have to get you a job, here is my number, and follow up with me tomorrow.” The next morning I sent them my resume and a few days after that, I was emailing a member of Mikie Sherrill’s campaign based on their recommendation.
  • Describe the internship: who, what, where, when…
      1. Andrew: The internship is for Congresswoman Mikie Sherrill’s campaign and includes: contacting constituents asking them to donate and/or attend local events, knocking on doors reminding people to vote, partaking in campaign events, having opportunities to speak to the Congresswoman
  • Biggest takeaway from the experience? What was the most rewarding, or most difficult part?
      1. Andrew: I have realized that the majority of those in politics are not as evil and dirty as people perceive them to be. The most rewarding part was at the election night party when we all learned the projection that she was going to be re-elected. The room was electric and we all had a great feeling of accomplishment after all of the hard work. Difficult parts have been realizing change does not happen instantly and the negative feelings the public has towards government. 
  • Do you currently take part in anything that relates to your interest in government? (Clubs, extracurriculars, job, etc)
      1. Andrew: I am president of the Model UN club and have been a member since sophomore year. Over the past couple of summers,  I have participated in political programs at Oxford University, Harvard University, and American University. 
  • Plans for after high school?
      1. Andrew: I plan on attending college in Washington, DC, and interning either on Capitol Hill or for a Super PAC.  
  • What new skills did you learn not directly related to the job as a politician?
      1. Andrew: I’ve learned that small victories can add up to great things.  
  • What are three words you would use to describe yourself, and/or three words someone else would use to describe you? (I might start the article with these)
      1. Andrew: I would describe myself as passionate, personable, and an enigma. People would describe me as outgoing, different, and ambitious.
  • Do you feel this has opened any doors for the next step in your career?
      1. Andrew: Absolutely.  I have met new connections in the political field and continue to grow my contacts through them. 
  • Any advice to fellow students that are interested in politics, or looking for an internship?
      1. Andrew: Go after what you want; have an elevator pitch on standby, go to events near you and start networking. The field of politics is full of well-networked people. 
  • Did anyone at Valley (teachers or students) inspire you to pursue this internship or field?
    1. Andrew: Mr. Vittozzi has always been someone who challenges me to think outside the box and continues to answer the many questions I have on a daily basis. Last year, Mr. Carroll gave me a first-class education on the real way politics works and AP Gov.