Today in Sports: Winter and Spring 2021 Edition

Kelsey Lauckner, Tristan Morales, Cailyn Stile, Sports & Club Editors

Winter and Spring Sports Overlap This Year!

Baseball, Softball, Boys Tennis, Boys Volleyball, Boys and Girls Lacrosse, and Boys and Girls Track & Field open up this week. Good luck to all!

Wrestling –  ttila Valy won his 1st round match of the Regions and was named northjersey.com Athlete of the Week!The team defeated Ramapo 51-24 victory! This marks their 5th match of the season! Attila Valy, Robbie Chetirkin, and Danny Smith are preparing for the Regions this week.  The team already held their senior day this where they honored Seniors Cole Fauerbach, Danny Taloustan and Adam Tsay! They also had a big win over Midland Park/Waldwick with their first outdoor match in history on Saturday, April 3rd on the turf field!

Girls Volleyball – The team finishes their 2021 campaign with an 11-3 record and the Independence Division Championship! They also placed on the http://NJ.com Top 20.  The team started their season with a game against Wayne Hills on March 24th. The team also had a 5-1 winning both games against West Milford. Congrats to seniors Lauren Antonio, Anna Balinski, Alex Calello, and Julianna Lavner as they celebrate Senior Day! They were a big part of League, County, and State Championships during their 4 years at

Gymnastics – Seniors Katie Shapiro, Brooke Engler, Super Soph Jules Lally and Freshmen Phenom Madeline Voinov continue to impress with strong scores. Our Gymnastics team defeated Clifton with a score of 98.8 on Senior Day. Katie, Brooke and Jen are 3-time 1st Team All-County award winners!

Girls Golf – The team’s scores keep going down as they continue to improve. They opened against Northern Highlands. Maddies Martin, All-County Tennis & Fencing, shot a 54 to lead our team. Boys Golf opens this Monday against Passaic Valley.

Boys Golf – Boys Golf opened with a win against Passaic Valley starting their season at 4-0

Ski Team – Our girls team gained another 3rd place finish and the boys finished 4th on January 29th. Julia LaSala has been leading the girls. She managed to get a 1st out of 25 racers during one of their first races.  In addition, both of the boys and girls teams also did well on Wednesday, January 20th. During that race, the girls managed a 3rd place win and the boys came in 6th.

Wayne Knights Ice Hockey – The team has a record of 4-1 and Ben Friedman was selected as the Record’s North Jersey Player of the Week.  The players started off their season with a BIG 6-1 win over West Milford/Pequannock. 6 different players scored for our Knights including Chris Wolfsohn and Aidan Danubio. As of January 24th, the team stays undefeated with a 4-0 record. Reminder, all games will be live streamed HockeyTV.

Girls Basketball – Girls Basketball had an amazing season! They finished at 13-2 and took home another Big North Independence Division Championship finishing at 9-0 in the division!

Boys Basketball – The Boys Basketball Team finished with a record of 10-2 and were Big North Independence Division Co-Champions finishing at 7-2 in the division.

Girls Bowling – Our Girls Bowling team completed their season with a nice 7-0 win over St. Joseph Catholic Academy and picked up 2 wins in their last 4 games.

Boys Bowling – Our Boys Fencing team finished at 8-2 with their best record ever! In a few short years, Coach Camb has turned this program into a North Jersey force. They were also 5-3 in the Big North Independence Division!

Girls Fencing – The Girls Fencing Team finished strong at 5-5 because they ending up winning 3 of their last 4 meets.

Boys Fencing – The team opened up their season with big wins against cross town rivals Wayne Hills. Then Boys Fencing won an exciting 14-13 match over Don Bosco Prep and are now 5-2 on the season.

Girls Swimming – The Girls Swim Team holds a 2-1 record and are 1-0 in the Big North Freedom Division. The team had meets against Ridgewood and Wayne Hills.

Boys Swimming – The boys swim team had a big 93.5 – 73.5 win over Fair Lawn to even their record at 2-2.  They finished their season with a home meet vs Ridgewood.
Winter Track & Field – The Boys Winter Track placed 4th at the Passaic County Polar Bear Invitational. The Girls Winter Track placed 5th at the Passaic County Polar Bear Invitational.
Competition Cheerleading – The cheerleaders are in a new group this year, large schools division, and are 1-1 after their first virtual competition.

*****For those of you planning your 2021 summer vacations, our blackout period for no sports/activities will be the first week of August: Saturday, July 31, 2021 – Sunday, August 8, 2021.******