Today in Sports: Winter 2021 Edition

Kelsey Lauckner, Tristan Morales, Cailyn Stile, Sports & Club Editors

Winter Sports Have Begun!

Ski Team – Both the boys and girls teams were back on the slopes. This week, our girls team gained another 3rd place finish and the boys finished 4th on January 29th. Julia LaSala has been leading the girls. She managed to get a 1st out of 25 racers during one of their first races.  In addition, both of the boys and girls teams also did well on Wednesday, January 20th. During that race, the girls managed a 3rd place win and the boys came in 6th.

Wayne Knights Ice Hockey – The team has a record of 4-1 and Ben Friedman was selected as the Record’s North Jersey Player of the Week.  The players started off their season with a BIG 6-1 win over West Milford/Pequannock. 6 different players scored for our Knights including Chris Wolfsohn and Aidan Danubio. As of January 24th, the team stays undefeated with a 4-0 record. Reminder, all games will be live streamed HockeyTV.

Boys and Girls Basketball – Both teams are working hard.  Boys Basketball finished the week at 2-1 as the Girls Team went undefeated at 2-0.  Just remember to tune into the live stream on Wayne Valley Television.

Girls & Boys Bowling – Both teams played against cross town rivals Wayne Hills this past week. The boys managed a big win! Bowling will be at Wayne T-Bowl.

Fencing – The team opened up their season with big wins against cross town rivals Wayne Hills.

Other Winter Sports – Boys & Girls Swimming, Track & Field, and Competitive Cheerleading will finally start practice the week of February 1st. Please complete registration and make sure all health/physical forms are in so you are cleared and ready to go!

Winter Sports include: Boys and Girls Basketball, Boys and Girls Bowling, Competitive Cheerleading, Dance Team, Boys and Girls Fencing, Ice Hockey, Boys and Girls Ski Racing, Boys and Girls Swim Teams, Boys and Girls Winter Track, Wrestling.

*****For those of you planning your 2021 summer vacations, our blackout period for no sports/activities will be the first week of August: Saturday, July 31, 2021 – Sunday, August 8, 2021.******

CONGRATULATIONS to Marching Band Director Gabe Batiz, his staff, and our Marching Band Students who were just crowned US Bands Division 1 New Jersey State Champions! The Band most recently came in 1st Place at the Mid-Atlantic Regional (NJ, PA, NY, Conn., MD, and DE) and came in 2nd at the Nationals only one point behind a band from Kentucky!

For more information, visit: https://www.bignorthconferencenj.org/public/genie/242/school/30/http://www.bignorth

conferencenj.org/g5-bin/client.cgi?G5genie=242&school_id=30