The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

63° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Matt Piacentini Breaks Five School Records

For many student athletes, breaking a school record is an inconceivable feat requiring hours of dedication and training. However, this past swim season, one athlete broke not just one, but five school records. Matt Piacentini, one of the senior captains of Valley’s swim team, has had a very successful career. He holds the records for swimming the 100m freestyle in 47.59 seconds, the 50m freestyle in 22.27 seconds, the 100m butterfly in 50.77 seconds, the 200m medley relay in 1:38.9 (with teammates Jake Ryan, Max Carter, and Max Matthews), and the 200m freestyle relay in 1:29.47 (with the same relay team: Jake Ryan, Max Carter, and Max Matthews). Throughout this season, he has also inspired many of his teammates. Jake Ryan says, “Matt is an amazing teammate because you can always count on him to perform, even on a rough day.” 

Piacentini has been swimming for the past nine years. He started swimming with the YMCA Bluestreaks team, and then switched to the Cougar Aquatic club team, where he has swam for the majority of his career. For the last four years, he has helped Valley’s swim team win several meets. 

Here is what Piacentini has to say about his season:

What was your reaction when you found out you broke each of the records?

My reaction to each record I broke was pride. I knew I had put in the work to earn them, so it felt really rewarding.

Did you change anything about your training this season?

This season, I took what I had learned from my previous years and used that to create the best season I have ever had.

Who or what motivated you the most this season?

I was motivated to be a good role model to all the younger swimmers.

What’s your favorite memory from the swim team?

My favorite memory from this season is beating the Hills swim team.