The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

84° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Appreciate your Versatility

Appreciate your Versatility

It is another Saturday, and I’m sitting in my chair at the orchestra. I’m in the back of my section again, and I look around the room, peeking at the first few stands. It must be nice, I think to myself, to excel at something. 

I am in my art class, and I am working on my painting. I can’t help but pinpoint my simple flaws–why am I not better at this when I have done it for years?

I know why. Versatility is defined as “the ability to adapt or be adapted to many different functions or activities.” It is not a trait you observe in everyone. More often than not, people will have a single area of interest–perhaps this interest draws on some other concepts, but it generally revolves around the same subject. By doing so, one can put all of her efforts into that field, dedicating herself to become outstanding in it. 

For this very reason, it is not surprising that people of the versatile variety–people like me, who cannot help their countless interests–feel insufficient. When you divide your energy to provide an adequate level of effort to your countless endeavors, the outcome is obvious: you become “good” in those fields, but never really “excellent.” This can be a frustrating dilemma–or your most powerful attribute. Like anything, it’s all about your mindset.

It took me a long time to appreciate my intellectual diversity. The change of mindset was recent and powerful–suddenly, I am aware of how wonderful it is to be the way I am. Perhaps I may never excel at one field–maybe it’s too early in life to even conclude that–but I wonder now, how many people can do what I do and truly enjoy it? I relish my hobbies because they are my numerous forms of expression. I embrace my several outlets because they shape who I am. I am a puzzle, composed of various pieces and incomplete when even one of the pieces is missing. I may improve in each endeavor at a slower rate, but with ample time up ahead, I will shine at each one. It all starts with a simple recognition, a mere flip of mindset, then the rest unravels on its own.