The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

54° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Are the Odds in This Movie’s Favor? Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes Review

Hunger Games fans flocked to theaters, excited to watch the newest movie. Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is a must-see if you love the series. Set sixty-four years in the past, Coriolanus Snow—better known as President Snow—is a mentor in the tenth annual Hunger Games. If his tribute wins, Snow receives the Plinth Prize, which he desperately needs to pay off his family’s rent and attend the Capital’s college. However, his hopes of winning crumble before his eyes as he receives his tribute: Lucy Gray Baird of District 12. As the games begin, it’s impossible not to connect with the villain of the trilogy. Coriolanus transforms from a despised dictator to an innocent boy we can’t help but feel for. Fans who have read the book will be overjoyed to see the story they love come alive, beautifully capturing the latest installment.

For those who haven’t read the book, you may be a little lost, but the amazing actors will make up for it. Tom Blythe as Snow is a perfect choice; he captures the feelings of the scenes and amplifies them. Rachael Zegler, who you may recognize from the remake of West Side Story in 2021, brings Lucy Gray to life with her beautiful voice. This movie wouldn’t be complete without Viola Davis as the sinister Dr. Volumnia Gaul. Her haunting expressions and cold feelings make even those who never read the book feel her wickedness. The story between Lucy Gray and Coriolanus is a must-see, as their tragic circumstances push them to the breaking point. Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes will have your heart bleeding for them both. Their amazing story is not one you want to miss.