The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

84° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Does Technology Disrupt Learning?

With the continued expansion of electronic devices and the recent incorporation of those devices into classroom experiences, there have been several disagreements over whether this learning tool is useful or not. While it offers many benefits, like access to information and interactive learning tools, it can also be a distraction if not used properly. Technology has been incorporated throughout the years into the learning experiences of hundreds of students across the world, which has allowed them to improve their education. However, the usage of electronic devices during class time has been associated with problems of distraction on behalf of students. When teachers are giving a lesson, students are usually found on their devices instead of paying attention to the subject taught in class. 

On the other hand, such devices that teachers are against could sometimes come in handy when they allow students to enhance their learning through interactive activities and learning apps. But this “learning tool” requires a lot of intelligence from the students, who are responsible for knowing how to effectively use technology in class and when their devices are getting in the way of learning, instead of improving it.