The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

69° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Op/Ed* – Should the US have Universal Healthcare?

The U.S. Has Fallen Behind In The Race For Universal Healthcare
Op/Ed* - Should the US have Universal Healthcare?

The United States of America is ranked 15th in the World Happiness Report, but what is stopping us from being number one? The common denominator seems to be America’s lack of universal free healthcare. Nearly every country ranked above the U.S. in the World Happiness Report has some form of free healthcare.

Researchers from the Institute of the Study of Labor in Germany gathered data on the correlation between healthcare access and happiness and published it in a paper titled “Happiness and Healthcare Coverage.” The team of researchers found, expectedly, “evidence that not having the ability to see a doctor because of an inability to pay is a major and substantial source of unhappiness in the United States, even for people with high income.” They also gathered substantial data proving that people who are not able to afford a doctor’s visit are more likely to be physically and mentally unhealthy. Furthermore, when people are unable to access sufficient healthcare, their life satisfaction and overall wellness decreases.

This all makes sense–Who would choose financial insecurity and uncertainty when it comes to their own health or that of their loved ones? When people do not have these worries hanging over their head, they are proven to be happier. For example, Norway is ranked 7th in the World Happiness Report. At the same time, the country is ranked among the top ten healthiest countries in the world according to Bloomberg Global Health Index–uncoincidentally, Norway offers universal healthcare. Even more compelling, Finland appears at number 1 in the World Happiness Report along with their universal healthcare system which is among the best in the world. On the other hand, more than 112 million Americans struggle to pay for health insurance, and 93% feel that their healthcare bill is not worth the cost.

So what is stopping the U.S. from implementing universal healthcare? Many people believe the increased taxes that will come with it are not worth the benefits that free healthcare will provide. However, a look to our northern border will quiet these fears. In Canada, all citizens enjoy the healthcare benefits that many Americans will never receive unless it is through a job at a generous, prominent corporation–such as free healthcare without deductibles and 18 months of paid parental leave. Canadians enjoy a life expectancy of about 81.6 years, whereas it’s only 76.4 years for U.S. citizens, and Canada’s suicide rate is 10.5 (per 100,000 people) compared to America’s 14.1 (per 100,000 people). Medically necessary procedures from hospitals, physicians, and dentists are covered in full by the Canadian government–no navigating of private insurance plans required.

But what of the immensely high tax rates that pay for Canada’s healthcare system? The truth is, they are not high at all–not when compared to the taxes that Americans already pay, even though we do not enjoy free healthcare. In Canada, people with an income of $53,359 up to $106,717 pay a 20.5% income tax. In the U.S., people with an income over $44,725 pay 22% tax. In Canada, people with an income over $235,675 pay a 33% tax; in the U.S., people with an income over $231,250 pay 35% tax. In Canada, people with an income of $53,359 or less pay a 15% tax; in America, people pay 12% tax for incomes over $11,000. These numbers are not all that different. With proper budgeting, the American government should be able to provide free healthcare for its citizens, in an effort to increase the happiness and wellbeing of all Americans, and follow in the footsteps of nearly every other developed country.

*Editorials are the opinions of the writers and not the opinions of Wayne Public Schools

View Comments (1)