The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

71° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

How to Succeed in High School

Have you been feeling overwhelmed with the workload so far this school year?  Are you thinking how am I going to finish this school year? I am here to help you and give you helpful tips to get through this school year. As high school students, many of us are taking hard courses, including Honors and AP classes. Many underclassmen who are new to this type of workload, can struggle with adjusting. The first thing to do is eliminate all negative thoughts from your mind. Do not use the word “can’t.” If you are already doubting yourself, how will you be able to study and achieve your goals? Have confidence and believe in yourself! You took these classes because you knew you could do it! 

Next, is a big one for all students: TIME MANAGEMENT. Many of us will push things off to the last minute. For instance, having two weeks to complete a project and waiting till the day before. Waiting till the day of can cause an overwhelming amount of stress that could have been avoided. Spacing out your work will make the workload easier to manage. 

Another tip for preventing school burnout is getting some exercise in. You can either join a sport or work out in a gym or house. Research studies show that the psychological and physical benefits of exercise can help improve mood and reduce anxiety. Exercise can help clear your mind, improve focus, and help you sleep better.

My last tip is to save time for fun! It is important for you to enjoy high school. Find time to spend with friends and family. You only have one highschool experience, so try your best to find time to enjoy it!