The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

62° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

How to Stay Healthy and Avoid Illness This Winter

Image by prostooleh on Freepik

Between RSV, strep, and flu A and B, everyone seems to be sick. How many times have you been sick this winter? I know I have already been sick once. The weather is cold one day and then warmer the next– it has been so unpredictable! If you are worried about getting a sickness this upcoming winter then here are some tips to help you stay healthy.

1) Limit the spread of germs: Be sure to cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough. This will help to limit the spread of germs. Also, make sure you are washing your hands consistently for 20 seconds with soap and clean water. It is flu season.

2) Get moving: The outside weather might keep you from doing your workout activities. So, start exercising inside or wear warmer attire when exercising outside. And there is the added benefit that regular activity can keep you healthy, both mentally and physically.

3) Limit your stress: This one is a big thing for high schoolers. Try your best to manage your time so you get enough sleep and have little to no stress. Try to sleep for at least 8 hours and have a sleep schedule to stick to.

4) Stay hydrated: Make sure you are drinking plenty of water – at least 8 cups of water per day. Added protection comes from healthy eating. Lots of fruits and vegetables will help lower the risk of certain diseases.

5) Get vitamin D: The winter has less sunlight hours equals less sunshine on your skin and that can deplete your levels of Vitamin D. Therefore, it is recommended to get as much sunlight as you throughout the day. Lift the shades, go outside, and let the sun’s rays kiss your skin. Increased sunlight exposure during the day can also help battle the “winter blues.”

6) Know the Signs and Symptoms: Mrs. Deutsch, WV’s nurse, has this final reminder, that people should be “mindful of any signs and symptoms they are having (covid , flu, etc) see their doctor and get tested if symptoms are present.”