The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

41° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Welcome the new staff members at Wayne Valley!

With each new year at Valley come new additions to the buildings, curriculum, and most importantly the staff.  This year Wayne Valley was lucky enough to welcome sixteen new faculty members.  Here is the inside scoop!

In administration, we have two new additions: Mrs. Schaffer and Mrs. Gibbs.  Mrs. Schaffer, a new Assistant Principal, is not really new here at all.  Working in the school since 2010, she taught math and computer science classes, making her a familiar face.  Having a former Valley student take this position is certainly an upgrade.  Our other new administrator, Mrs. Gibbs is also an Assistant Principal for special services.

Our fashion classes have had a bumpy start this year, but we are more than happy to welcome Mrs. Dean as our new fashion teacher.  Her presence, along with some of our new materials and technology, should make for an amazing year of projects!

We are honored to welcome yet another Wayne native to our staff: Mrs. Romeo.  Mrs. Romeo attended Hills and began teaching there, but eventually she made her way to Valley.  After taking a short break from teaching, we are ecstatic about her return to Wayne Valley’s math department.  Also joining the math department, is Mrs. Creighton.  Growing up in New York, Mrs. Creigton has taught in her home state, Maryland, Illinois, and New Jersey.  She is now teaching all levels of math at Wayne Valley and couldn’t be more excited. 

Wayne Valley is extremely lucky to have two new music teachers this year!  We are thrilled to have Mr. Rusca, who has been working in education for twenty-two years, not only as music teacher but also our new Director of Bands.  Growing up in South Jersey, attending William Paterson University, and coming to us from Passaic High School, Mr. Rusca is very enthusiastic about joining our community.  Our other new music teacher, Ms. Miller, is also our new Associate Director of Bands.  Currently completing her Master’s Degree at Columbia University, Ms. Miller is big on spreading music and school spirit. We hope to be an exciting start to her teaching career!

In physical education, we welcome Coach Troast.  Growing up in Pequannock and attending Kean University, Coach Troast proceeded to teach and coach in multiple districts within New Jersey; he even coached softball at William Paterson University.  He is now teaching physical education and health at Valley.  

The Italian classes are in good hands this year with new teacher Mrs. Iannacco.  Born and raised in Italy, she attended “Università” di Urbino in Italy and “La Sorbonne” in Paris, as well as local Ramapo College and Rutgers University.  Mrs. Iannacco has worked in education for twenty years, prior to which she worked in marketing and finance.  This adventurous new staff member had traveled and experienced so much; we look forward to hearing about her experiences.

This year we also welcome Ms. Alonso and Mr. Vogt to the science department.  Ms. Alonso is spending her ninth year in education as a Freshman Biology Teacher.  We are also lucky enough to call her the Environmental Club Advisor!  Originally from Ontario, Canada, Ms. Alonso made her way to Montclair State University to get her Master of Education, and then to William Paterson University to gain yet another Master’s Degree.  This year she hopes to get her students to step out of their comfort zones and try new things!

Our social studies staff has multiple additions this year as well.  Starting with Mrs. Babcock, who is from Hudson County, NJ.  Although she hadn’t originally planned to become a teacher, she quickly grew fond of working with children and decided it was meant for her to pursue; she is grateful to continue her career at Wayne Valley.  Mr. Vesce also joins us in the career that he claims “chose” him.  He attended William Paterson University and taught for ten years before coming to Wayne Valley.  Mrs. Anelli has also joined the social studies staff, and we look forward to what this year has in store. 

Mrs. Fili joined our special education services this year. And last, but most certainly not least, we are honored to welcome Nurse Barnwell to the school.  Another Wayne native herself, she attended both New York University and Rutgers University.  Nurse Barnwell has experience in both hospitals and schools, so we are very grateful to have her on our staff.  Being a Valley graduate herself, she is thrilled to be back!