Relay for Life 2019

After many months of hard work and planning, Wayne’s annual Relay for Life event took place on May 18th and 19th at Wayne Valley High School. Under the leadership of event leads Cassie Fierro and Stephanie Casamassina, as well as co-chairs Louis Messercola and Kyla Gallipolli, the Relay For Life committee created a truly meaningful event that was enjoyed by the entire Wayne community.

Relay for Life is an annual fundraising event for the American Cancer Society. The event provides students and adults alike with the chance to come together over their experiences with cancer. This year’s theme was “Game Changers” and the committee hoped to “knock cancer off the board.” The day was filled with many games, such as cornhole, soccer, and a crowd favorite: the dunk tank. The students have a chance to hang out with their friends and make a difference in their community at the same time, which encourages others to participate in the event. The event ran from 2 PM to 4 AM the next morning.
One of the highlights of the event is a luminaria ceremony that honored those who have passed away after heroic battles with cancer. Sophomore Julia La Sala commented that “The ceremony was probably my favorite part of the entire event. It made me realize how cancer truly affects everyone”. The inspiration participants’ took away from the event allow for it to continue year after year.

Overall, Relay for Life 2019 was a huge success and another amazing event is already being anticipated for next year. All together, the event raised over $90,000, all dedicated to cancer research.