The Transition from High School to College

College is a big step in the lives of most people. It could be considered the first step of the transition from childhood to adulthood, which can be quite frightening. Since students are so sheltered during their high school careers, navigating the college lifestyle can be difficult. Coming from senior mentality and ruling the school and climbing back down the social food chain back to being a freshman again must not be easy. Tyler Andreas, a graduate from Wayne Valley’s class of 2016, is a freshman at Rowan University in Glassboro, NJ. After wrapping up his first semester at college, I got to sit down with Tyler and ask him about his college experience so far.

The transition from high school to college is different for everyone. For some people, it is nothing but a small move. For others, it can be a major milestone that can be hard to get used to. “I’d say the transition from high school to college was challenging.” Tyler said. “The workload is a lot more and the expectations are higher. Your professors won’t be constantly telling you what to do like in high school. Everything is on yourself.”

Being on your own for the first time ever is a major gear shift and something you will have to get used to while you’re in college. Tyler explains that it was a something new to him and made him more aware of his responsibilities.

“Being on my own for the first time was definitely a new experience. It a huge culture shock. For the first time you’re by yourself and you have to be self sufficient.”

College is definitely not all fun and games. This is an education that will go towards your future career. Although it may not be easy, it is manageable if you put in effort.

“If I could describe my college experience so far, I would compare it to a roller coaster,” he said. “It has its ups and downs, but it gave me a new perspective on life.”

Packing up and leaving behind everything you’ve known can be difficult, but could also be for your own good. You get the chance to expand your horizons and move outside of your niche.

“Although I enjoyed much of my time in Wayne, it became apparent at the end of my senior year that it was time to move on,” Tyler emphasized. “College is different but in a good way. I met new people from all over the country and got to explore my home state of New Jersey. Everything was fresh and I experienced things that were new.”

Now is the time to get focused and wise. College is a whole new ball game and you have to prepare yourself for the worst. It might not be bad afterall, but it’s what you make of it. “Go in with a positive attitude and hold yourself accountable. No one will be there to look after you while you’re away at school.”