The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

54° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Team Raising for Research

Cancer is the second most common cause of death in the United States. With 1.9 million new cases and about 600,000 deaths in 2022 alone, cancer can take everything. Diagnosed with leukemia in January 2022, Rocco Sivolela began his battle against cancer with all of Wayne fighting with him. He continued to spread love and positivity throughout his fight. Sadly, on May 17, 2022, Rocco Sivolela lost his battle with cancer, but Wayne continued to fight and raise awareness for Rocco and others suffering from leukemia.

Created in 2023 by Jessica Capadona and Kiki Ferguson, Team Raising for Research set out to raise money and awareness for leukemia research. It was created for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society 7-week fundraising challenge to raise funds for research, patient education, and support. Throughout their 2023 campaign, Team Raising for Research successfully raised about $56,000. For 2024, This team has been passed to Wayne Valley juniors Ainsely Phillips and Alli Roth. Their 2024 team includes 16 students, including Jess Cappadona, Kiki Ferguson, Charlotte Downs, Ali Maybrown, Delilah Morelli, Luke and Nick Rubino, Nick Paluch, Joey Napoli, Leo Giovanniello, Aidan Kindler, Ryan Luzzi, Leah Bolson, Sean Heaney, and Ella Duffy. Their team is working with the student Visionaries of the Year campaign and will donate 100% of their earnings to the LLS. 

These students started this campaign to honor Rocco’s legacy. Rocco made a huge impact on all of Wayne. His kind and compassionate persona helped him make the world a better place. This movement gives Rocco a way to continue changing the world for years to come, being able to help and spread hope to people who are affected by the same disease he battled.