The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

46° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Crafting GingerBread Houses in a Festive Cooking Class

Wayne Valley High School’s cooking class recently participated in an annual competition where students made creative and festive gingerbread houses for Christmas. They worked in groups, allowing all their ideas to come together. It was the perfect opportunity to let your imagination run wild and bring some holiday magic to life. The winning house was the Krusty Krab house. This was the first year the winner was selected to represent Wayne Valley High School in the NJ ProStart Gingerbread House competition to compete with students from all over NJ.

Ava Zambrano had a great point where she said, “To be more creative, you got to add more effort, doing more than just doing the basics.” This is absolutely true. For example, instead of just making simple markings for doors and windows, it is much better to actually try to draw them. It would make the gingerbread house look even better. 

Yusef Qasim suggested his idea of “making a Christmas tree out of pretzels and some fondant and jelly beans for lights” which would give a tree colorful decorations, bringing a festive mood.

As for the recipe, Zambrano suggests using “the creaming method.” Basically, you mix molasses,

sugar and butter together, and then you can add flour, water and holiday seasoning.

Hopefully these tips will help you create the most incredible gingerbread house. Don’t forget to have fun and enjoy the process!