The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

63° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Girls Tennis Team Playing For the Crown

Jhanvi Patel

Although tennis is a physical sport, it is as much of a mental workout as it is physical. The sport requires mental agility, perseverance, determination, stamina, and strength. Over the past few years, Wayne Valley’s tennis team has participated in many challenging matches, and despite last year’s change of both JV and Varsity coaches, the team has stuck together and persevered. 

Spanish teacher Nathaniel Turner and student counselor William Cheval have taken over the tennis program as coaches and helped the team through difficult matches. Due to the large senior class last year, many spots remained open on the varsity team to fill. This year, many previous JV players had the opportunity to play in Counties and States. From scrimmages to matches, the team has always given their all against their opponents. The girls have poured their hearts out and shown immense effort throughout the season. 

The team’s determination in counties was truly remarkable and spectacular; All three single players made it into finals. The first singles player, Meliha Bektesevic, was the Passaic County runner-up with a score of 6-1. She was awarded Female Athlete of the Week and was additionally sponsored by Jersey Mike’s. Alison Shore and Brooke Greenberg, second and third singles, worked extremely hard and fought with valiant efforts in their matches. The Varsity tennis team will continue to compete in states before the fall season ends.

Even with all of the skill and stamina required for the sport, tennis is extremely fun and enjoyable to play and watch! If you’re looking for a sport to play, tennis is an excellent choice! Additionally, if you want to support the team or any of the players, you are always welcome to watch the games. The team has an amazing and supportive environment, along with incredible coaches. The members of your team will begin to feel like a family as you progress through the exciting season together!