2024 Spring Sports Preview

2024 Spring Sports Preview

Wayne Valley is considered a powerhouse in Passaic County, as well as the state, in many sports. The spring sports especially dominate, where last year three out of the eight spring sports won a county title, and two out of the eight won a league title, with several teams placing in the top three. Looking forward to the 2024 season, we interviewed several coaches and players on our teams, to see how Valley stacks up. 

We first spoke to Coach Robert Glander, of the Boys lacrosse team. In 2023, Boys lacrosse went on a rampaging 17-4 season, winning the title and going undefeated in both the league and county. After graduating 10 seniors who played key roles, Glander says, “It’s always difficult losing a big class but they left the team better than it was and created an environment that is positive for the underclassmen.” However when asked about what we can expect from this year’s team, Glander told us to look to; “Energy, excitement, and youth.”

Next, we spoke to Sophomore Golf Team member, Peter Swede. After an 11-8 season, Boys golf is looking to compete in 2024. When asked about some of the team’s upcoming players, Swede told us to look out for Lucas Egan, a fellow Sophomore, “He is a great golfer and has lots of potential.” Additionally, Swede looks forward to making a run in counties with his fellow teammates. “I think we have a very good chance at winning with the team we have.”

Our next interview was with Brandon Van Peenen, a senior on the baseball team. Following a 14-10 season, baseball will once again look to compete with the other major powers in the county for a title. In our interview, Van Peenen said, “This year we have a great bond between all the players. Team chemistry is really big and I think that it’s something that can make us win close games.” 

On the girls side, we spoke to Ms. Larcamp, of the softball team. Last year, the softball team went 10-12 against some of the best competition in North Jersey. As they look to the spring, Larcamp explained, “We have a great returning group with a lot of talent, drive and determination to do well. We are on the younger side with having very few seniors and we are returning almost all of our infield and key members from our lineup which will help us be very successful this season! I am also looking forward to seeing our two captains, Sophia Passaro and Makenzie Crowe lead our team this season!”

Next, we spoke with Jason Carcich, the coach of the boys volleyball team. Our boys volleyball team went 16-7, coming second in the county tournament, and making it to the quarter final round of states. When asked about players to watch in the upcoming season Carcich explained; “Robby Cisneros, our returning starter senior, he’s a Libero, or a defensive specialist, he’s going to anchor our defense, which is good because we are going to be young this season.” 

Additionally, we spoke to Mr. Flower, the head coach of the spring track team. After a strong showing in the 2023 season, track will look to compete in both the country and league. When asked what to expect from the boys this year, Flower responded, “The boys team will have several very good seniors this year.  Matt Califf, Milan Mistry, and Zach Daudelin will lead our team.  We will be very competitive in our league and counties.  We will need an influx of new freshmen and sophomores to bring us to the next level.” On the girls side, Flower stated, “The girls team also has several important seniors including, Ava Maher, Sara Paul, Meghan Tomback, Rylyn Loffredo, and some very good underclassmen including Athena Giotis.  The girls have a great core.  We will need our throwers and distance runners to continue to improve to have a truly successful season.” 

Girls lacrosse, led by Coach Rachel Hofbauer, had a winning 2023 season with a record of 15-3 and  6-1 in NJIGLL American North. This year they hope to repeat their winning record. Sophomore player Giada Scrittorale is looking forward to team bonding during winter and early spring training and “growing as a team” as the girls start preparing for the 2024 season. 

The boys tennis team, led by Senior Ben Seiglhem, will look to compete in counties once more. We caught up with Ben, who told us to look for, “Ari Barnes, he stepped up for some varsity last year and I see him getting some more time on the upper levels this year.” Boys tennis finished the 2023 season with a 13-6 record.