The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

44° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

New Cuisine in the Cafe: Halal Food

New Cuisine in the Cafe: Halal Food

After years of having little to no food options for Muslim students who eat halal food, Wayne Valley High School has added halal food to their menu. Many Muslim people sighed with relief, once they finally got the food that they could eat.

After hearing from students, parents and guardians, nutrition director, Michael Schmitt added halal food this year. He explains, “We get feedback and comments from the students, parents and school communities through speaking to our customers, Student Advisory Committees and the Wayne School’s Healthy Heart Committee. The Wayne Schools Food Service program continually evolves to serve our community better.”

Students do enjoy the food but one drawback to the new additions is that they are priced higher than some of the other foods. Some students do not feel like they can afford to buy halal food daily. “I like the quality of food, but it’s overpriced,” a Wayne Valley student, Elif Ekinci shared her opinion.

In response, Michael Schmitt added, “There is a cost increase for the halal products. The current market charges more for these items. The goal is to offer this option at a reasonable price for our customers.”

Halal food consists of gyro with french fries/ rice, chicken nuggets, and chicken breasts. They cost approximately from $2 to $6. The cost doesn’t seem to be overly expensive for the quality of food. If there are students that can’t afford halal or the food in the cafeteria, it’s highly recommended to apply for free and reduced meal services. Students who use these services can receive a reduced price or they can receive one free breakfast and one free lunch each school day.