The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

55° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Take This Class: AP Biology

Take this Class: AP Biology

Are you interested in pursuing a career in the STEM field? If so, you should consider taking AP Biology. Although this AP is infamous for being one of the hardest courses at Valley, taking this class is extremely worthwhile. There is a large focus on time management and preparing students for college classes. Mrs. Ahlert, the AP Biology teacher, calls this class “college with cuddles.” Since this class is an AP, it is weighted on a 5.0 scale and it is available to Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors. This course also prepares students amply for the AP exam in May. 

This class expands on what students learned in previous biology and science classes; it goes more in depth and focuses on a larger variety of topics. This includes, but is not limited to, biochemistry, evolution, genetics, and more. You truly learn all about living organisms and how they function—from micro to macro. While the workload is heavy, this class is extremely rewarding and a great preparation course for college. Students learn how to write a proper lab report and how to successfully analyze data. 

Not only is this class extremely helpful, but it also creates a friendly community in the classroom. Students are required to work together, and questions are always encouraged. The course also forces students to try new studying methods in order to determine what works for them. Although this class is challenging, students truly get an opportunity to get out of their comfort zone– and have a blast doing so.