The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

78° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Athletic Director Dave Drozjock Retires After an Amazing Career in Education

Mr. David Drozjock has been a staple at Wayne Valley High School for years. He is retiring this year as our town’s athletic director. One Town, One Heart. This is his motto. 

Mr. Dave Drozjock has been in education for over 33 years. He was the athletic director for Wayne Valley High School for six years. Then for the past two years, he has been athletic director for both Wayne Valley and Wayne Hills.

David Drozjock as a student at Valley

Before becoming the athletic director, Drozjock attended Wayne Valley High School and then went on to Montclair State. He did Football, Wrestling, and Baseball at Wayne Valley and wrestled for Montclair State. 

Mr. Drozjock decided to become an athletic director because “I love sports and I wanted to help mentor coaches.” At the beginning of his education career, he felt that it was all about teaching and coaching. As time went on, he realized he wanted more. He explains, “I wanted to take a role in educational leadership.” 

Drozjock enjoys working as a director because “I get to work with great coaches and student-athletes at both schools.” That being said, it can be hard when Wayne Valley and Wayne Hills play one another.  “It’s tough when they play against each other, one team has to lose.”

Throughout his career, his most memorable win was the first state championship in 20 years for football. Some major awards are Football/Wrestling/Track and Field; League – County – District – Region – State Championships.

The entire Wayne community will miss him.