The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

60° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Take This Class: Photography

The photography program is made up of 4 five-credit, full year courses: Fundamentals of Photography, Advanced Photography, Commercial Photography, and AP Photography. Each class is provided with DSLR cameras and editing software like Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom; in some cases, cellphones are used. In these courses, you will be able to express your creativity through photography, which could be used in social media posts or even Smoke Signals. You are allowed to travel Wayne Valley taking pictures around the school. You also have the chance to enter your photos into art contests and win photography equipment—or even money!

Fundamentals of Photography is an introductory course that teaches students the basics of photography, such as lighting, stop motion, long exposure, landscapes, and more. Advanced Photography is a more in-depth course, which more frequently uses Adobe Photoshop to further enhance images and let the students’ creativity flow. Commercial Photography is a course which introduces ways that students can apply their prior knowledge of photography to the real world with future clients. New for this school year, Wayne Valley now offers two dual enrollment opportunities for photo students: Commercial Photography and AP Photography. Partnerships with both P.C.C.C and William Paterson provide enrollee’s with college credit. AP Photography is a college level course which puts all 3 previous courses together, and uses them to create a final portfolio to send to College Board. Also new, Photo Club is an extracurricular where like minded artists can work together. A notable project this year includes sports media days, where we use high quality lighting and backdrops to highlight the sports programs at Valley.