Club Clips

Unified Sports

Special Olympics Unified Sports® was created to give individuals with intellectual disabilities the opportunity to train and compete in sports activities alongside their non-disabled peers. This year, Unified Sports is making its way  to Wayne Valley! During the winter season, students can join the unified basketball team and in the spring season, there is the option of joining track and field.

Starting in January and running through February, basketball practice will start and be once a week. At the end of the month, there will be a Saturday game against Wayne Hills, or another Passaic County team that is available. If there are any students interested in joining the Unified Sports team, please email Mrs. Ferrer or Ms. McCambley.

Social Eyes

The Social Eyes Club is an after school club for students with significant disabilities that provide interactive, social and recreational opportunities with their fellow peers. Wayne Valley has given the opportunity to other clubs, sports teams, or any individuals to volunteer their time with the Wayne Valley special needs population.  

When each club, or sports team attends a session, the members of that club will have an activity planned to complete during the one hour meeting. On December 11th, Peer Leaders joined Social Eyes in order to decorate gingerbread. They came up with the plan of caroling to different sports teams which will take place on December 18th. If you are part of a club, or a sports team and are interested in volunteering, talk to your coaches and advisers!  We hope to see you all at one of our Social Eyes meetings!

Gardening Club Update

Members of the gardening club have planted tulips in both the garden and courtyard for the upcoming springtime. In order to fund for materials such as mulch, soil, and bulbs for this project, the club hosted a bake sale. The Gardening Club is planning on painting birdhouses, planting vegetables and trees. The club is looking to host more fundraising activities, as well as painting a mural. We are always open to new members! Want to join, contact Lauren Cinquino through GroupMe.

NAHS Update

NAHS members are currently working on their Memory Projects. Children from Malaysia are apart of the Memory project this year. This project provides students the opportunity to draw portraits of children from around the world that face challenges. The goal is to cultivate kindness and to create awareness about people from all over the world. To learn more about The Memory Project visit memoryproject.org

NAHS members have also been busy with the Z100 Color to Care Contest. Members are to draw pictures for children spending the holidays in the hospital. The winners of the contest will receive Jingle Ball Tickets. 

NAHS club members also have two upcoming mural projects. One will be located in the SRO Office and the other will be in the math department.