The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

62° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Senior Goodbye: Anika Sekar

The school newspaper was something I always knew I wanted to be a part of. From writing countless stories in elementary school to joining the newspaper club at Anthony Wayne Middle School, I was eager to take up any opportunity I could to write. Therefore, Smoke Signals was the first club I signed up for during my freshman year. Even though it was the COVID year, and I only had limited interactions with the other club members through Google Meets, I quickly discovered my love for choosing topics to research and write about. I initially focused on topics relating to pop culture, but as the years went by, I also wrote about all kinds of topics, from world news to community and school news.

After continuing as a staff writer during my sophomore year, I applied to be an editor for the next school year. I knew I wanted to become more involved in the editing process, as well as learn what goes on behind the scenes of laying out the paper. I became Sports and Clubs Editor, which pushed me to learn more about all the different sports teams at Valley and the successes and school records our athletes have accomplished, as well as write about some of the lesser known clubs at our school. After being an editor for a year, I knew I wanted to take up an even bigger part in the process of creating the paper I loved so much, so I applied to be Editor-in-Chief.

Working as Editor-in-Chief alongside Aleksandra, Mrs. Nazarko, Mrs. Hannon, and our whole team of editors this year has been nothing short of amazing. From staying after school every day, pumping out articles to prepare them for the print edition, to getting to be part of the student swap with Hills, this club has given me so many fond memories. Smoke Signals has taught me how to work together with the team of editors and get tasks done efficiently.

As I enter college this fall, I know the Princeton school newspaper is something I will definitely join. I am so grateful that I could be involved with something as amazing as Smoke Signals, and I hope all underclassmen take the opportunity to join this club! It has been a pleasure writing for Wayne Valley.

• Anika