The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

66° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Senior Goodbye: Aleksandra Graic

I once viewed Smoke Signals as a goal, an accomplishment; now, it is a cherished memory.  Freshman year, from the comfort of my bedroom, I was greeted by Mrs. Nazarko and Mrs. Hannon through a computer screen.  I wasn’t aware of it then, but this moment influenced most of my high school career. 

Working on Smoke Signals has allowed me to develop numerous skills as well as develop many relationships.  I learned to write, to edit, to interview, to take charge, and to be part of a team.  I couldn’t be more grateful for everything that I have gained in the newsroom.  

I recall being nervous for my first meeting; I had just become an editor and it was my first in-person meeting.  I was met with the most welcoming and kind crowd, a group that gave me some of the best memories.  Throughout my time here, our family has gained so many new and amazing members, but we’ve also seen many great writers go on to better things.  I can’t seem to grasp that it’s now my turn to move on.  I didn’t realize how bittersweet it would all be.

Senior year, I walked in with the title “Editor-in-Chief,” words I’d been waiting to hear since freshman year.  Although I was incredibly honored, I felt nervous to take control after watching others do so well before me.  Now, I can say that we did alright; we were able to keep the legacy going.  And because of this year, and all of the hard work that I have seen, I am confident Smoke Signals will be left in good hands. 

I would not have made it this far without the help of Mrs. Hannon and Mrs. Nazarko, who quickly took me under their wing.  Likewise, the paper’s success this year is credited to the very hardworking team of writers and editors that have joined us.  In the end, this was the highlight of my high school career, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.  Until next time, Wayne Valley. 

Aleksandra Graic, Editor-in-Chief, signing off.