The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

68° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Take This Class: Film Studies I and II

Take This Class: Film Studies I and II

If you’re looking for a different elective where you can watch and analyze movies almost every period, Film Studies I and II are for you!  Don’t worry– you don’t have to be a Hollywood director to succeed! You will gain knowledge in the history and development of motion pictures as well as other aspects of the filmmaking, like cinematography, editing, lighting, special effects, etc.  Covering every genre of film from Westerns to Sci-fi to Rom-Com, every movie-lover is sure to find something they can enjoy—but a big aspect of this class is having an open mind. Because of the wide range of styles the curriculum covers, it’s important to be willing to watch and absorb every movie, no matter if it’s your usual choice or not. The workload is manageable, with almost all assignments (including class discussions, analytical viewing logs, movie reviews, and small projects) completed in class!  I’ve personally taken both years of this class, and I love how many more movies I’m able to enjoy now because Mrs. Hannon, my teacher for both years, forced me out of my comfort zone. Film Studies can be a calmer period in the middle of a hectic school day; I recommend it to any student who watches TV (which is all of you!!!).