The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

48° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Take This Class: Auto Shop

Automotive is a series of classes that teach everything you need to know about automotive systems. Intro to Auto is a full-year course that is worth 5 credits. This class is the beginner level, best for anybody just starting out with auto, or has some experience. Intro to Auto teaches everything like basics of electricity, basic tools, and basic automotive work. Students learn how to work on cars and apply their knowledge to their everyday life. Students also get the chance to work on teachers’ cars, giving them a sense of how automotive shops work.  

If a student likes the class they can move up to Advanced Automotive which is worth 10 credits and makes up two periods. Advanced Auto is eligible for dual enrollment with certain colleges, allowing high school students to receive credits for college. Senior auto students can also take work study, allowing them to leave school early and work in automotive, enabling them to get an early feel of how the automotive industry works. 

The Wayne Valley Auto Shop also takes part in different events. They also run an auto club that meets once a week. This club works on various auto projects after school including a demolition derby car throughout the year. This car is used in the annual Sussex County Fair demolition derby over the summer. At the end of the year, Wayne Valley and Wayne Hills Auto programs run a car show with demonstrations, student’s cars and auto projects on display. In short, Wayne Valley Auto is a great class for anybody interested in automotive, either for a future career, a hobby, or just everyday knowledge.