The student news site of Wayne Valley

Smoke Signals

59° Wayne, NJ

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Valley versus Hills:

The Orange Out
Photos By Borchard
The Orange Out

Every year, the Wayne Valley versus Wayne Hills football game is a major event. Students from Wayne Valley, Wayne Hills, and oftentimes other schools in the area all show up to watch the two rival schools compete in the most popular fall sport. However, this game has had more meaning these past two years. 

Wayne Valley student and football player Rocco Sivolella passed away in 2022 after a battle with cancer. In order to honor his memory, Varsity Cheer Coach Kaitlyn Roberts came up with the idea of having an orange out tradition during the Valley versus Hills football game. They chose orange as it represents the type of cancer Rocco was battling: leukemia. This new tradition was started around July and August of 2022. 

To show their support, the cheerleaders from Hills and Valley participate in the Orange Out by wearing orange bows, socks, and shirts. Additionally, every game, the Valley football team hangs up Rocco’s jersey and waves the orange 78 flag, which was Rocco’s number. All of the proceeds from the game and t-shirt/sweatshirt sales go to Rocco’s scholarship fund.  

Not only is the game an orange out, but it has been fully dedicated to Rocco. Everyone who comes to watch the hyped-up rivalry–including Hills students–wear orange to the game. Following the slogan “One town, One heart.” “Yes, it is a rivalry game, but when everyone is united in one color, it’s showing a community coming together,” Coach Roberts comments.

Many have noticed that the mindset of the Valley versus Hills game has evolved ever since it was dedicated to Rocco. Coach explains, “This game is more than just a game,” Coach Roberts explains. “It’s a community coming together for a greater cause as ‘One Town, One Heart.’”