Wayne Valley’s Model UN Takes on Hills

Wayne Valley’s Model United Nations club competed in the annual cross-town conference against the Wayne Hills club this April. More students have joined Model UN this year than in previous years, and the conference had a huge turnout. The topic of the first session, the Crisis Committee, was Nuclear Meltdown. The starting scenario was one where during the Russia-Ukraine war, Russia carried out air assaults on nuclear reactors. Students then chose their roles from a list of NATO members and leaders of various countries, and they had to react as they obtained new information about the crisis. The second session was the General Assembly, the more traditional type of Model UN session, and the topic was Residual Impacts of COVID-19. For the General Assembly, students each choose a country in the UN and write a paper about their country’s stance on the issue in the weeks before the conference. On the day of, students represent their nation and try to pass a resolution to the issue with the support of other countries. Wayne Valley students won several awards during the conference, including the Best Delegate award. Model UN is an interesting, fun club for students interested in politics and foreign policy to join!