Time Management: Productivity

Time Management: Productivity

TIME: the most valuable asset known to man and a student’s greatest struggle. Upon entering high school — likely a student’s first journey of continuous challenge — time becomes the most utilized tool to all who’ve succeeded. Never did the diligent student or athlete or musician or leader say, “Yes, there was time to waste.”
In a state of endless fatigue, yielding the most productivity may seem impossible. I, though I don’t believe I’ve faced any immensely testing tribulations at large and only having completed one year of high school, am not the wisest time-capturer out there. But, having done at least one sport and one band per season with good grades and a few clubs, I know and am coming to better know the most sought-after quality of those who’ve succeeded: productivity.
So, to not waste time, the key to productivity stands: constant focus. Since multitasking is not truly possible (one cannot give 100% of attention to two things at once), always be sure to be doing one task diligently at a time. To be best equipped, follow by these statutes.
SLEEP
Sleep, though many look at is as dispensable and expandable, remains a must. To maintain good health, good memory, quick alertness, and overall a happier, more conscious way of life, sleep cannot be overlooked. When in the bind of studying late at night, remember that the brain needs sleep to strengthen ties between memories; so, if information has already been encoded (studied before), let the brain (during sleep) start consolidating it. 8 hours should be a minimum, though this number is often hard to attain, growing kids should be getting more.
REST
By rest, I mean resting the brain. The brain, like the body, has muscles which can get over-worked. Moving on from one subject to the next switches muscles, but staying on one topic for too long exhausts that part of the brain. Breaking studying into several sessions helps. Time spent in a sport or other activity helps to rest too. Meditation, believe it or not, actually does wonders. And, a few moments of daydreaming are not so bad either. Of course, other lighter tasks that must be done like doing the dishes or taking a shower help to give the brain a rest.
STUDY
Like mentioned earlier, spaced learning is much more effective than massed learning. So, even reviewing a vocabulary list during lunch or practicing a math problem between classes is helpful. Procrastination, though tempting, makes a goal much harder to achieve, so little by little, progress in the task. During off-time, it is also helpful to knock-out small tasks, which serve as rest for the brain. This can mean sending an email or text, going to the bathroom, or organizing a space.

Undoubtedly, this key seems like a lot — which is because it is. If it were easy, it would not be so sought after and hard to achieve like most find it. And yes, this list does include a lot, but it is really only a general list. Proper nutrition and hydration are also crucial to do these tasks well. I still persevere to master productivity myself. But, as a general guideline, be sure to sleep, rest, and study as much as you can — that is, if you’re after success.