Today in Sports – Fall Sports!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Today in Sports – Fall Sports!

Amanda Vogt and Neil Kiame, Sports Editors

Fall Sports 

Wayne Valley athletics are having a fantastic fall season! With Passaic County tournaments well underway, all fall sports compete to win the title of County Champions. Read below for the many achievements of our Wayne Valley Indians this fall!

Girls Soccer

The 2019 fall season for Girls Soccer is undoubtedly impressive. With an undefeated season so far, including ties to Northern Highlands and West Milford, our girls keep taking wins wherever they go. To start this season off strong, senior goalkeeper Arden Lembryk has totaled 28 saves, and sophomore goalkeeper Astrid McGraw also had 14 saves. Sophomore Kelsey Ramos leads the team with 17 goals and 5 assists, followed by sophomore Emily Jozak with 11 goals and 3 assists. Seniors Jenna Vanas, Julianna Rigoglioso, Courtney Dellerba, and Arden Lembryk all believe that, “If we continue to work together, our hopes and goals will become our reality.” Their first game in the county tournament was on Saturday, October 12th, against Clifton High School. The team persevered in the 3-2 victory, which advances them to the semi-finals. On Saturday, October 19th, Girls Soccer will play Lakeland, and a win will take them to the county final. 

Boys Soccer

Boys Soccer is having a bright season this fall with a plethora of success and plenty more waiting for them down the line. Seasoned opponents like Fair Lawn and Lakeland remain among their remaining five regular-season games. A victory against these two teams would result the Indians in being League Champions. So far, Captains Mike Bleeker and Connor Gallo have performed stunningly throughout the duration of the season. Senior Alex Abrams and Juniors Nick Cannici and Dan Kline have also been very impressive on the field.

Girls Volleyball

Congratulations to Coach Carcich and Girls Volleyball who finished their amazing season 24-5 after losing to Mendham in the Group III Finals. Our girls won the North A Group III State Sectional Championship over West Morris to get to the finals.  Junior Anna Balinski lead the team with over 50 kills, and junior Alexandra Calello lead the team with over 140 digs. Great job girls!

Girls Tennis

With an impressive 8-6 record, Girls Tennis is nearing the end of another great season, with only one match left. Captains Laura Kendall (senior) and Madeline Martin (sophomore) helped to lead their team to success. Sophomore Liza Kiseleva, who plays first singles for the Indians, battled Wayne Hills in the county final this season. She beat reigning county champion Angela Reyzelman on Thursday, October 17th. Liza Kiseleva  is now the #1 Girls Tennis Player in Passaic County. On Saturday, October  19th, the Liza won a spectacular 9-7 tiebreaker in the 1st set and 6-0 in the 2nd.

Field Hockey

Congratulations to Ashley Zarb, Joanna Liput, Tammy McNutt, Cara Scancarella, and Erin Matthews who were all named 1st Team All-County Field Hockey. Coach Struss was Passaic County Coach of the Year. It was an impressive season! With a regular season record of 15-4, the girls have taken down many challenging opponents, like Lakeland and Westwood. Junior goalie Amelia Vacca has totaled 55 saves as the team enters the State Sectional tournament. On October 16th, Vacca was named female Athlete of the Week, and her portrait will be hung in the halls of Wayne Valley for years to come. Additionally, the field hockey team made it to the county final which took place on Thursday, October 10th, and they brought home another win against Lakeland. This makes it their first county title since 2002. Sophomore Alyssa Sherry remarks that, “In the end, everyone wants to succeed as a team, and that’s what we did.” 

Football

Football has seen a major upturn this season. They beat our rivals Wayne Hills and then went on to shut out  #1 seed Phillipsburg 7-0! Along with their coaches, senior captains Jake DeLuccia, Tommy Moran and Ricky Ruggiero have led the team.  Coach Kotlarz and our Football Team are now headed to the North II Group IV Sectional Final. The finals will be at Old Tappan 6:00pm Friday, November 22nd. Please come out and support our team! 

Cross Country

The Cross Country team has seen a lot of success. Leaders Shawn Corcoran, Kenny Lemly, and Kevin Feeney have all lead the boys team to the various meets at Darlington, Garret Mountain, and Six Flags. The girls team is lead by Senior Julin Sivriev, Junior Mary Smith, and sophomores Jess DiChristina and Lauren Cinquino. We wish our Indians good luck on the rest of the season.

Gymnastics

Congratulations to Brooke Engler, Jennifer Kruszewski and Katie Shapiro who were all named 1st Team All-County Gymnastics.

For more information, visit: https://www.bignorthconferencenj.org/public/genie/242/school/30/http://www.bignorthconferencenj.org/g5-bin/client.cgi?G5genie=242&school_id=30