Today in Sports – Winter Update

Back to Article
Back to Article

Today in Sports – Winter Update

Emma Gittleman, Lead Sports Editor

Winter Sports News! Big News for Wayne Valley Winter Athletics!

• Girls Fencing Team: Congratulations to our Girls Fencing Team with a great showing at District 4! 3rd Place overall, 3rd Place Saber, 3rd Place Foil, and a strong showing from our Epee Squad!  Senior Ashley McDermott won the 2019 Passaic County Champion Girls Foil Fencing! Ashley went 11-0 on the day! Ashley also won the 2018 County Championship!
  • Swimming: Girls swimming wins 7 of the 11 events in the Big North Freedom Tournament. Senior Claire Custance and Freshman Grace Sendak both won 2 events and 2 relays; Claire in the 200IM and 100Breast Stroke and Grace in the 200 and 500Free. Freshman Emily Valenzula wins the 100Back. The Boys Swim Team currently stands at 4-7 District and 5-8 Overall
  • Indoor Track: The Girls Indoor Track 4X400 Team took home the Passaic County Championship with a time of 4:14! The Girls consisted of Milica Rodic, Lauren Pasaglia, Tammy McNutt and Julia Philip! Congratulations to all!
  • Basketball: The Wayne Valley and Wayne Hills Basketball program came together for a great cause! Organized by Head Girls Basketball Coach Kathy Sinram, the teams raised over $2200 for Lace Up 4 Pediatric Cancer and Go4theGold foundations – Helping Kids With Cancer Achieve Their Goals.
  • Cheerleading: Our Competitive Cheerleading Team placed 4th in the prestigious NCA High School Cheerleading Championship with over 242 high schools represented at this event in Dalla!
  • Wrestling: The Wrestling Team won the NJSIAA North 1 Group 4 State Sectional Championship with an exciting 33-31 victory over Roxbury! Wrestler Jordan Botero escaped tiebreaker in Friday’s North 1, Group 4 final. The Indians’ 33-31 win over Roxbury gave Wayne Valley wrestling a sectional title. Wrestling also placed 2nd at the Passaic County Championship. Individual Champions; Elijah Lugo, Reid Colella & Nicola Trani won it for the 3rd year in a row. Congratulations to Reid Colella who won his 100th wrestling match at Roxbury and helped his team take home the title!
  • Bowling: The Boys Bowling Team won a NJSIAA State Sectional Championship this past weekend. Bowler Mike Natoli had a team high 695 series and will be moving on to the NJSIAA Individual Boys Bowling State Finals!
  • Ski Team: First Slalom race gave a 2nd place for Wayne Valley girls!

For more information, visit: https://www.bignorthconferencenj.org/public/genie/242/school/30/http://www.bignorthconferencenj.org/g5-bin/client.cgi?G5genie=242&school_id=30