Today in Sports – Spring Sports!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Today in Sports – Spring Sports!

Amy Nazarko

Amy Nazarko

Amy Nazarko

Neil Kiame and Emma Gittleman, Sports Writer and Editor

Meet our Passaic County Coaches of the Year for this spring;
  • Jeff Hoover Baseball
  • Doug Schemly Boys Golf
  • Jason Carcich Boys Volleyball
All three took their teams to a County Championship and received their award last night at the Passaic County Coaches Association Awards Banquet.

Spring Sports: 

This season, the Wayne Valley spring athletics displayed another amazing year of achievements. Several teams have earned their name on plaques, trophies, and medals. In particular, the Boys Baseball team was highly successful, as they recently won the Passaic County Championships. “We did better than last year and the year before,” said sophomore Kyle Corso, a Varsity Baseball player. When asked about the performance of the team, he said that “the future’s looking bright.” The team had an amazing come back to win the championship in the bottom of the 7th inning. Congratulations are in order for Senior Chris Coleman for winning the Bill Vacca MVP trophy pitching a 14K complete game to pick up the win.

The Boys Volleyball team also won their championships after their big victory over Passaic, and their victory marks Coach Carcich’s 14th County Championship. Since Girls Volleyball also won their county competition in the fall, this is the third year that both the girls and boys simultaneously won the championships under his coaching.  He has won 7 championships with the boys and 7 championships with the girls. This is his 3rd when both the boys and girls have won in the same school year. Before this big game, they dominated Hills Volleyball in their match.  The first time the boys played Hills this year, it ended in victory and this time the boys did not disappoint!

Both Boys and Girls Golf also had a remarkable 2019 season. Sophomore golfer Jedd Alcalde and Senior golfer Stephen DiPaolo respectively placed 4th and 2nd overall in the county, which was an impressive feat for the two golfers. Freshman Madeline Martin placed 3rd in the Girls Golf Passaic county tournament, earning the honor of First Team All-County during her first year on the team.

Boys and Girls Lacrosse have also performed quite well with 9-6-0 and 7-6-0 records, respectively. In the state tournament, both the Boys and Girls teams won the first round. Boys Tennis, meanwhile, narrowly missed a winning streak of 2-4-0.

The Girls 4X400 Team (Clark, Rodic, Sibilski and Philip) took home the silver with an amazing time of 4:11.05 at the PCCA Track & Field Championship. On the field, Alexis Rocker took home the silver in both the shot put and discus. Last week, Alexis Rocker took home the gold in both the shot put and discus to lead our Girls Track and Field team at the Big North Independence Division Championship meet. Junior Milica Rodic placed 1st in the long jump and 2nd in the high jump. She is ranked within the top ten in the state. Catie McGrath finished 2nd in the javelin for our Indians.  Thrower Caroline McGrath says that she was very happy with another successful track season and it was a “great way to end senior year.”

The boys tennis team had a solid season. They were lead by 1st singles Justin Giberson and 2nd singles Vincent Scaglione. 2nd doubles Ivan Filmonov and Derek George also played strong throughout the entire season.

Softball Seniors Gabby Reilly, Maggie Olaya, Hanna Robinson, Skyler Pozo and Skylar Somick helped lead us to a 8-5 win over Wayne Hills on Senior Day. They also swept all of their games against big time rivals West Milford. The girls ended with a 9 and 13 record and while this was not the record that the girls had hoped for, the 2019 season brought a lot of twists and turns for this underdog softball team.

Similar feelings of pride have been resonating through the school, and every team hopes to continue their streak of formidable achievements again next year.

SDA – CONGRATS TO ALL THE WINNERS!  Blue team won overall! 

For more information, visit: https://www.bignorthconferencenj.org/public/genie/242/school/30/http://www.bignorthconferencenj.org/g5-bin/client.cgi?G5genie=242&school_id=30