CAD Robotics Course

January 6, 2023

The future of teaching–and society–lies within STEM education. Personally, when the topics of CAD (computer-aided design) and robotics come into mind, I have plenty of questions. Despite the vast amount of unknown knowledge present within the STEM field, technological education provides students with answers to complex ideas, along with a solid foundation to skills that will be necessary in the near-future. Mr. Slater–a remarkable teacher at Wayne Valley–applies these concepts in his classes, and is a great role model for young STEM students. Through these classes, the idea of utilizing technology in real world applications is presented,  which differs from the classic classroom-esque teaching style. Students are encouraged–and motivated–to try their best and learn as much as possible; they are not only rewarded with high test scores, but also helpful skills. 

CAD is a great place to start for students recently introduced to applied mathematics or STEM in general. Within the class, learners are taught how to design parts based on technical drawings, by using various softwares, namely, SolidWorks. One student, Matthew Califf, had this to say about CAD: “We design and model functional parts that fit with existing components.” Along with learning, students also gain certification through an exam, which validates their skill in CAD software. When speaking to the students enrolled in these STEM classes, their passion and motivation for utilizing applied engineering is clear. This love is largely thanks to an amazing teacher, Mr. Slater, who inspires students to work hard toward their goals.

Robotics–also taught by Mr. Slater–offers a specialized perspective on the world of computers. Students are taught about what goes into creating robots, and they are also taught about the electrical components within these robots. Along with just learning about these topics, students also apply their knowledge and model parts for their own robots–along with putting together electrical hardware within them. Mr. Slater provides the base design (or chassis) for these robots, and students are encouraged to build off of these designs, utilizing unique ideas and techniques. Matt Califf–who also takes robotics–had this to say about the course, “I like robotics because Mr. Slater allows me to excel and work at my own pace.” Mr. Slater’s charismatic and passionate character allows this class–and its students–to flourish.

Mr. Slater offers an exciting studying environment, influencing students to work to their full potential, showing them the true beauty of STEM education. If you don’t believe how passionate students are about these courses, take a walk near Mr. Slater’s room, and you’ll see plenty of people with boxes full of parts and hardware, with a smile on their face!