Future of the Medical Field

January 6, 2023

Interested in becoming a health professional in your future? If so, HOSA is the club for you.

HOSA, formerly known as the Health Occupations Students of America, now called the Future Health Professionals, was originally founded in 1976 as an organization for students interested in healthcare. Since then, it has grown a tremendous amount with over 200,000 members in 51 chartered organizations. At Wayne Valley, HOSA is run by Mr. Yale with help from President Nicole Antonio and Vice President Jaclyn Ellis. HOSA has executive board members Jenna Sisto, Julia Schaeffer, Deyanna Abedrabo and Kyra McAllen working behind the scenes. This makes the organization mostly student run, which gives the members many opportunities for leadership experience! 

Although the idea of creating a medical club has been discussed in the past, it’s a new addition to clubs here at Valley. In fact, it was just created last school year! Antonio and Ellis both knew that there was not a medical club at school and thought it would be a great idea to introduce once students were back in-person. Additionally, the HOSA club at Wayne Valley is affiliated with the National HOSA Organization. 

Mr. Yale believes that Hosa will help “students further their interests in the medical field, and overall build their leadership skills.” The club provides volunteering opportunities, features guest speakers who work in healthcare, and even offers CPR certifications!

The club participates in medical conferences, and the President and Vice President have even won some, including placing at the Northern Regional Conference and the State Leadership Conference which opened up new opportunities for both of them! Unfortunately, Covid caused all conferences in 2021-2022 to be held online, but once more in-person conferences take place, the members of HOSA will be able to meet more of their peers who share similar interests in the medical field. 

HOSA is a great way to allow students to give back to their community. According to Mr. Yale, it is “a value essential to going into the [medical] field.” The club has already helped out their community by collecting and donating first aid supplies with help from NHS and making felt hearts to lift the spirits of people currently in local hospice centers. 

“I believe that this organization will continue to gain traction, as I know that we have many students interested in the health sciences who may not be members just yet,” Mr. Yale explains. Once the club continues to grow, they will become even more involved in the community and continue to win at the medical conferences! 

To learn more about the club, follow their Instagram account @wvhosa_