Take This Class: Child Development

January 4, 2023

Child Development is an interactive elective that students can take starting their sophomore year at Wayne Valley. The entire purpose of this course is to help students understand what it takes to be a successful teacher, and guide children under the age of four-five. In Child Development I, students learn to plan for teaching children and understand the development of children under different age groups (newborns, infants, toddlers, and preschoolers). Child Development II focuses on newborns, with students getting the opportunity to carry mechanical babies, seeing what it is like to care for a child full-time. 

Students in Child Development I and Child Development II run a small preschool two days a week, offering students the opportunity to care and educate smaller children (three-five years old). Students prepare presentations, crafts, and different activities based on a topic, educating the children more about their world. Different topics consist of holidays, senses, and even children’s books. Student’s that aren’t teaching that day, are assigned to observe and give feedback based on how the previous lesson went. Taking Child Development I and II consecutively provides students with the option to take Child Development III in their senior year. This class sends you into various elementary schools, working with a host teacher in their classrooms. Child Development offers students the opportunity to help children in the real world, and inspires those that are interested in children’s education–and development–a chance to see what it would be like to have a teaching job.